Mike Rowe has made his name being a dirty, dirty man. Rowe was the ever-agreeable host of Discovery Channel’s Dirty Jobs for eight glorious seasons of him roughing it with the bravest of blue-collar workers and followed that up with his equally daring CNN series Somebody’s Gotta Do It. But there’s a lot more to him than TV fame — so do yourself a favor and dig into some less-known facts about Mike Rowe’s life. Digging in, after all, is pretty much what got Rowe famous in the first place. Operatic Roots In order to break into TV, Rowe needed to have a Screen Actors Guild membership card, but, living in Maryland, you couldn’t obtain one without doing union work, which was impossible to get without — that’s right — those dreaded cards.


Luckily, though, there was a loophole for this catch-22. Rowe figured out that by earning a membership to a union like the American Guild of Musical Artists, he could just buy his way into its sister union. Problem solved. So, even though he wasn’t musically inclined, Rowe chose the opera union as his mark, picking the shortest performance piece he could find — the coat aria from Puccini’s La bohème — for his audition. That … went about as well as you might expect from a guy who just started opera a month before. After performing his piece, Rowe’s reviewer asked, “You have no idea what you’re doing, do you?” “Le mie grazie ricevi. Wake up up, you producer!” “Va bene! Yes!” Even so, Rowe was told he had a “rich, well-modulated baritone” and that the next natural step was to dress him up as a pirate and let him in.


Pirate Rowe enjoyed opera so much, he stuck around for seven years, all after originally just wanting an easy way to get his SAG card. “I got in and then I realized I liked the music and then the girls” He even used his pipes to pump up his old QVC infomercials. “The end is near. And so I face the final curtain” Hey, at least he has an artistic outlet for those days when the day job gets a little too filthy, yeah? 180 minutes Nine years, 169 episodes, and 50 states later, it’s crazy to think that Dirty Jobs, the franchise that truly put Rowe on the map, was originally only slated to air as three one-hour specials. That’s right — 180 minutes of Rowe is all we were supposed to get, after he caught the Discovery Channel’s attention by sending a tape of one of his more graphic pieces from a segment he used to do on San Francisco’s Evening Magazine.


The segment was called “Somebody’s Gotta Do It,” and it featured Rowe exploring the wonders of artificial cow insemination. Unsurprisingly, viewers reacted to the specials en masse, and in every way imaginable, giving Rowe the bright idea to see if Discovery was interested in making his fresh, but clearly eccentric, concept a regular deal. They were interested all right and, like that, Dirty Jobs was born. Eagle scout allegiance After earning the esteemed honor of Eagle Scout as a child, Rowe remembers receiving a letter from none other than President Gerald Ford congratulating him on his accomplishment. The letter was written on fancy paper and featured the presidential stamp, with Ford’s name and his photocopied signature at the bottom. In other words, it was a form letter, which was nice to Rowe in theory but, at the same time, felt slightly deceitful. So what did Rowe do when he came up and became the host of his own show? Why, he created his own form letter for new Eagle Scouts, of course, and offers to send it signed — and personalized — to any Eagle Scout who requests one, so long as they provide him with a self-addressed, stamped envelope.


Small digs Considering Rowe’s fame from Dirty Jobs and several other successful projects, it should come as no surprise he’s not doing too bad financially these days, with his worth estimated at a fat $35 million. That’s surely enough to splurge on a mansion, or two, or three. But for Rowe, there’s been no chunk of change big enough to get him away from the modest San Francisco apartment he’s called home for the last 14 years and counting. Rowe finally revealed his digs when a fan on Facebook asked him, among other things, to truthfully admit he doesn’t live in a mansion. It was a pretty easy thing to admit for Rowe, who said the extent of his mansioning experience is that he house-sat once and “kinda liked it.” Otherwise, he’s been more than content sticking with the apartment lifestyle, especially at a pad that offers such a sweet, and only slightly obstructed, view of Treasure Island and Alcatraz, which he regards as the best part about his place.


Talk about a killer view. Death threats Whether intended or not, Rowe’s lengthy run on Dirty Jobs makes him somewhat of a spokesman for overworked and underpaid Americans everywhere. So when it was his voice that played over a 2014 ad for Walmart — you know, the same super-sized retailer frequently accused of overworking and underpaying its employees — trumpeting the company’s pledge to invest $250 million in U.S. manufacturing, it’s no wonder people were peeved. Some were even mad enough that Rowe received death threats. Ultimately, Rowe took the threats with a grain of salt, and addressed the criticism with a lengthy Facebook post in which he wrote that the company’s commitment to investing in America was worth shilling for.


“I’m not a spokesman for Walmart. I’m a spokesman for American manufacturing.” Birthday suit surprise The only thing worse than receiving death threats is waking up one morning to find people on the Internet thinking you’re dead already. Rowe’s had the fortune of experiencing both scenarios at the same time. According to the rumors, he got into a fight with a flying drone and, shotgun in-hand, died in the process. But that wasn’t the real story — or even half of it. After headlines declared him deceased, Rowe emerged, very much alive, to tell the true story of how he almost had a duel with a peeping drone.


As he explained it, he was decked out in his birthday suit and dreaming when he heard a loud buzzing noise and rose to investigate the culprit. It turned out to be a nosy little drone, right outside his window, with its camera pointed directly at Rowe and his exposed body. Rowe grabbed his shotgun from under his bed and, still entirely nude, stormed outside, ready to shoot the “electronic Peeping Tom” from the sky. He pumped a shell into the chamber — which was apparently heard and served as the genesis of the death hoax — had the shot lined up, and was just about to pull the trigger when the drone’s camera turned toward him and made Rowe rethink his actions. “But what I didn’t know, is… is the drone operator some worthless little pervert within a mile of me looking at a monitor — is he recording it there as well?” He could only imagine a video popping up on his mom’s computer with the headline “Dirty Jobs Guy Totally Loses It — Gets Naked and Shoots Drone From San Francisco Skies,” and that fright was enough to make Rowe drop his shotgun and reach for his cellphone instead.


The only shot he ended up taking was a picture of the drone as it flew away. Dirty jokes In 2010, Rowe made a guest appearance on Sesame Street for a segment aptly titled “Dirtiest Jobs with Mike Rowe.” Unsurprisingly, his appearance included coming into contact with Oscar the Grouch, and the two made for awesome, filthy television that included an adult joke that was probably a little too risque for the young audiences that watched.


“So just come around to the back door.” “The back door?” “Yeah.” “Hmm. Well. I always wanted to go in the back…” Um, yeah. So, that somehow made it past PBS censors and gave all those parents forced to watch alongside the kids something to chuckle about. In hindsight for Rowe, he wrote that the joke was “a cheap and childish double-entendre” and that he had a hangover to thank for his wild hair that day. But hey, at least he picked the right character to go there with. “You’re a bad banana with a greasy black peel.” Thanks for watching! Click the Grunge icon to subscribe to our YouTube channel. Plus check out all this cool stuff we know you’ll love, too! .

♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ >> Wyatt: HEY, WELCOME TO THE SHOW. I’VE GOT SOME EXCITING NEWS THAT I JUST CAN’T HOLD IN ANYMORE. TODAY, I JUST LEARNED THAT THIS SHOW HAS BEEN AWARDED DIAMOND MEDALLION STATUS. I MEAN, TECHNICALLY IT’S ME, BUT I COULD NOT HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT THE HARD WORK OF ALL THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE IT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO GET ON AN AIRPLANE. I’M TALKING PRODUCTION ACCOUNTANTS, I’M TALKING… WAIT, WAIT, WHAT ARE YOU DOING? NO, NO, NO, WE’VE STILL GOT A WHOLE SHOW TO DO. COME ON, TONIGHT, I WANT TO TALK ABOUT AVIATION! YOU MIGHT BE WONDERING, “WYATT, HOW DID YOU PULL THIS OFF?” WELL, I SAW THAT I WAS GETTING CLOSE TO DIAMOND STATUS, SO I BOOKED 12 ROUND-TRIP FLIGHTS FROM NEW YORK TO ATLANTA IN A SINGLE WEEKEND. THE AIRLINE, THEY WERE RUNNING A SPECIAL! AND I THINK I COULD PETTY CASH IT? AM I CONSTIPATED? OH, MY GOD, LIKE YOU WOULDN’T BELIEVE. HAVE MY EARS POPPED? I SAID, “HAVE MY EARS POPPED?” WAS IT WORTH IT? YES.


AND LOOK, I’M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO TAKES DRASTIC MEASURES TO RACK UP POINTS FROM AIRLINE COMPANIES. WE’RE CALLED “MILEAGE RUNNERS.” BUT THOSE WHO DON’T UNDERSTAND US CALL US “FREQUES.” YOU KNOW WHAT I SAY TO THAT? LET THE “FREQUES FLY.” ♪ ♪ AIRLINE MILEAGE PROGRAMS INCENTIVIZE AIR TRAVEL. THAT MAY BE PART OF THE REASON THE RATE OF AIRLINE TRAVEL IS INCREASING. ONE REPORT PREDICTS THE AMOUNT OF INDIVIDUAL PASSENGER FLIGHTS WILL REACH 4.6 BILLION THIS YEAR. AND THE GLOBAL FLEET OF AIRPLANES COULD DOUBLE IN THE NEXT TWO DECADES.


WHICH IS WHY ON MY SEVENTH TRIP TO ATLANTA, I FOUND MYSELF IN AN ALTERED STATE THAT SOME OF THE OLDER FREQUES CALL “INNER TURBULENCE.” I STARTED WONDERING, “HOW RESPONSIBLE ARE MY FLYING HABITS?” AIR TRAVEL CURRENTLY ACCOUNTS FOR AROUND 2% OF GLOBAL CO2 EMISSIONS. THAT MAY SEEM SMALL, BUT IF THE AVIATION INDUSTRY WAS A COUNTRY, IT WOULD BE A “TOP-TEN GLOBAL EMITTER.” AND EXPERTS SAY THAT 2% COULD JUMP TO 22% BY 2050. SO, WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT, ALL THIS MILEAGE RUNNING I’M DOING IS ACTUALLY REALLY FUCKED UP — HOLD ON, WAIT… IF I TOOK ANOTHER FLIGHT I COULD GET TO EMERALD STATUS… UH… HOLD ON A SECOND, I JUST NEED TO GO TO THE BATHROOM… ON AN AIRPLANE! ♪ ♪ OKAY, YEAH, I DID TAKE ANOTHER FLIGHT, BUT IT WAS TO DOUBLE MY MILES! I MEAN, YEAH, I’M TRAVELING A LOT. HOLD, PLEASE. ♪ ♪ AT LEAST I’M NOT FLYING PRIVATE! ONE HOUR ON A PRIVATE JET BURNS AS MUCH FUEL AS AN ENTIRE YEAR OF DRIVING. AND I’M ONLY FLYING LONG DISTANCES, BECAUSE AIRPLANES USE THE MOST FUEL AT TAKEOFF, SO THE SHORTER THE FLIGHT, THE LESS EFFICIENT IT IS.


WHICH IS WHY I WOULD NEVER TAKE A FLIGHT FROM NEW YORK TO BOSTON. OR REALLY ANYWHERE TO BOSTON. DON’T GO TO BOSTON. CHOWDA! AT LEAST I FLY COACH ON ALL MY MILEAGE RUNS, BECAUSE ONE STUDY FOUND THAT THE CARBON FOOTPRINT FOR FIRST-CLASS TRAVEL COULD BE NINE TIMES HIGHER THAN FOR SOMEONE IN COACH. AND I NEVER USE THE BATHROOM WHEN I FLY BECAUSE I DON’T WANT ANYTHING THAT GETS FLUSHED TO LAND ON A BIRD. I DON’T POOP ON BIRDS AND THEY DON’T POOP ON ME.


IT’S ALL PART OF THE DOUCHE TRUCE ACCORDS OF 1979. SO, TAKING ALL THAT INTO ACCOUNT, I’M NOT THE WORST IN REGARD TO MY CARBON FOOTPRINT. BUT ALSO, WHY SHOULD IT ALL BE ON ME? I’M JUST A SIMPLE RUBE WHO GOT CAUGHT UP IN THE ALLURE OF RACKING UP NUMBERS THAT CORRESPOND TO A MINERAL-BASED CASTE SYSTEM. PRIVATE COMPANIES, THEY’RE THE ONES INCENTIVIZING BEHAVIOR THAT’S BAD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT WITHOUT DOING NEARLY ENOUGH TO OFFSET THEIR FOOTPRINTS! IF I TAKE THIS FLIGHT, I COULD GET GRANDIDIERITE STATUS… WHICH MEANS I GET TO BOARD BEFORE THE FLIGHT HAS EVEN DEPLANED.


AND AS AMAZING AS THAT SOUNDS THOUGH, I’D JUST BEING PLAYING INTO THE AIRLINES’ HANDS. SEE. THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH AIRLINES. THE WHOLE BUSINESS THRIVES ON ENCOURAGING BEHAVIOR THAT’S BAD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT. I MEAN, IF WE REALLY WANT TO CHANGE PEOPLE’S HABITS, MAYBE TRAVEL SHOULD BE INCENTIVIZED DIFFERENTLY. LIKE, WHAT IF INSTEAD OF FREQUENT FLIER PROGRAMS THAT FOCUS ON RACKING UP MILES FLYING, WE JUST MADE A UNIVERSAL MILEAGE PROGRAM? YOU KNOW, WHERE PEOPLE WOULD BE REWARDED FOR HOW SMALL OF A CARBON FOOTPRINT THEY CREATE HOWEVER THEY GET TO A DESTINATION? WANT TO KEEP DIAMOND STATUS? TAKE A TRAIN INSTEAD OF A PLANE. WHY SHOULDN’T A PERSON BE ABLE TO BE A FREQUE WHEREVER THEY GO? YOU SHOULD GET TO BE A FREQUE ON A BUS.


OR A FREQUE JUST WALKING DOWN THE SIDEWALK. YOU MIGHT SAY, “WYATT, WHAT’S THE PERK OF BEING A DIAMOND STATUS FREQUE WHEN YOU’RE JUST WALKING DOWN THE SIDEWALK?” SAME AS DIAMOND STATUS FOR FLYING. YOU GET TO BOARD EARLY. ALL THE ALCOHOL’S FREE. TRAFFIC COPS HAVE TO OFFER YOU WARM COOKIES. NOT TO MENTION, THE HOT TOWELS. OH, YES, THE HOT TOWELS. OH, SO HOT! SO, SO, SO, SO VERY HOT! SO HOT! HOT, HOT, HOT. >> THE BOOKSTORE. WHERE A PERSON CAN GET LOST FOR HOURS, PERUSING OBSCURE BOOK TITLES, WHILE THEIR FRIEND TAKES A DUMP IN ONE OF THE FEW CLEAN AND ACCESSIBLE BATHROOMS LEFT IN THE CITY.


BUT THESE SAFE HAVENS FOR THE SENSITIVE AND FECALLY-VIGOROUS HAVE SEEN A DECLINE. THE RISE OF ONLINE RETAILERS LIKE AMAZON DROVE MANY BRICK-AND-MORTAR BOOKSTORES OUT OF BUSINESS. BUT THERE IS ONE PLACE WHERE BOOKSTORES STILL THRIVE: AIRPORTS. MINI-CIVILIZATIONS GOVERNED BY THE RULES OF SILVER WINGED-GODS, AIRPORT BOOKSTORES SUCCEED BECAUSE TRAVELERS DEMAND ENTERTAINMENT, MEANING THERE’S ANOTHER PLACE BOOKSTORES COULD THRIVE. CONSIDER… THE SUBWAY BOOKSTORE. TAPPING INTO A WHOLE NEW MARKET OF WORD-THIRSTY COMMUTERS, THE SUBWAY BOOKSTORE WOULD THRILL THE CUSTOMER, WHO COULD NOW SAVOR EVERY WORD THAT TRANSPORTS THEM FAR FROM THEIR BORING COMMUTE. LIKE THAT WORD. SUBWAY CARS COULD SAVE THE BOOKSTORE. AND THE BEST PART? THEY’RE ALREADY USED AS PUBLIC RESTROOMS. >> NO, NOT ON THE TRAIN. >> Wyatt: THINKING BACK TO WHEN WAS THE WAS THE PLACE THAT FIRST INTRODUCED ME TO CAPITALISM.


THOSE LUNCH TABLES WERE A TRADING ROOM FLOOR, WHERE A SEVENTH GRADER COULD WALK IN WITH AN EGG SALAD SANDWICH AND WALK OUT WITH THE KEYS TO A BRAND-NEW PORSCHE. TO THIS DAY, MY 401(K) IS MAINLY JUST FRUIT ROLL-UPS I’VE BEEN SAVING. I DON’T THINK THEY EVER GO BAD AND THERE’S ALWAYS DEMAND. POINT IS, A LOT OF STUDENTS’ EXPERIENCE CAN DEPEND ON WHAT GOES ON IN A CAFETERIA. SO, LET’S TALK ABOUT SCHOOL LUNCH. THE CAFETERIA SERVES AN IMPORTANT PURPOSE IN A SCHOOL, WHEN YOU CONSIDER THAT, ACCORDING TO ONE SURVEY, 3 OUT OF 4 TEACHERS SAY THEY SEE STUDENTS WHO ARE REGULARLY COMING TO SCHOOL HUNGRY. THAT FOURTH TEACHER DOESN’T SEE IT BECAUSE THEY LET THEIR STUDENTS EAT GLUE, WHICH REALLY TAKES THE EDGE OFF. >> Dorothy: YOU FIRST HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT THE KIDS HAVE THEIR BASIC NEEDS MET. THAT THEY HAVE FOOD. >> Kiese: KIDS WHO ARE HUNGRY IN CLASS, JUST LIKE ATHLETES WHO ARE HUNGRY AT PRACTICE, DON’T PERFORM AS WELL.


>> Dana: IT’S NOT A SMALL THING TO MAKE SURE THAT THEY’VE HAD BREAKFAST, LUNCH, DINNER. IT IS REALLY THE FIRST THING THAT MATTERS WHEN WE’RE TALKING ABOUT A KID’S EDUCATION. >> Wyatt: GIVEN THAT IT MATTERS SO MUCH, IT IS KIND OF ODD THAT SCHOOL LUNCH OFTEN WINDS UP WITH THE SHITTIEST YELP REVIEWS. >> Paola: SCHOOL LUNCH IS NOT THAT GOOD. >> Brittany: SCHOOL LUNCHES ARE TERRIBLE! >> Dana: BAD PIZZA, BAD CHICKEN McNUGGETS. FRENCH FRIES EVERY SINGLE DAY. >> Paola: IT LITERALLY COMES FROM, LIKE, A FIVE-DAY TRIP, FROZEN IN A TRUCK. >> Matthew: I CAN SEE DISGUST IN YOUR FACE, AND IT’S IN MY FACE TOO. >> Dana: I NEVER ATE IT. >> Wyatt: THIS KIND OF GROSS CAFETERIA FOOD IS WHAT CREATES A SNACK PACK SHADOW ECONOMY. AND WHILE THAT HELPS SOME KIDS PROFIT, IT ALSO MEANS THAT A LOT OF KIDS JUST WIND UP EATING JUNK OR SKIPPING MEALS ALTOGETHER.


MAKING SURE ALL KIDS HAVE ACCESS TO QUALITY FOOD IS SOMETHING THE CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS HAS HAD TO CONFRONT. AND I KNOW I SAID I WASN’T GOING ON ANY MORE MILEAGE RUNS, BUT THIS IS NOT THAT. BUT TO BE ECO-FRIENDLY, I WON’T USE THE AIR CONDITIONING. I’LL JUST OPEN THE WINDOWS ON THE FLIGHT. SO, SEE YOU IN THE LAND OF 10,000 LAKES. ♪ ♪ >> Wyatt: GOING TO SCHOOL, YOU HAD TO GET, LIKE, FOOD. WHAT WOULD YOU WIND UP DOING? >> Taijah: IT WAS LIKE, EITHER THE BANANA NOW AND LATERS, AND MAYBE, LIKE, SOME HOT CHIPS, AND DEFINITELY — >> Wyatt: THAT WAS YOUR BREAKFAST? >> Taijah: YEAH! >> Wyatt: BANANA NOW AND LATERS AND HOT CHIPS? >> Taijah: HOT CHIPS AND A BRISK TEA ‘CAUSE THAT WAS IN AT THE TIME. >> Wyatt: NOW, MOM, YOU’RE HEARING THIS. LIKE, WHAT’S GOING ON? SHE’S OUTSIDE THE HOUSE AND SHE THINKS BANANA NOW AND LATERS IS A FRUIT? >> Tasha: I DID NOT KNOW THAT. >> Wyatt: I DON’T MEAN TO TELL YOU YOUR BUSINESS BUT THAT’S A HORRIBLE MEAL.


>> Taijah: IT IS! >> Tasha: SO, APPETITE FOR CHANGE IS A NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION THAT USES FOOD AS A TOOL TO CREATE HEALTH WEALTH AND SOCIAL CHANGE IN NORTH MINNEAPOLIS. NORTH MINNEAPOLIS IS PREDOMINANTLY A BLACK COMMUNITY. ONCE THE WHITE COMMUNITY MEMBERS LEFT, ALL OUR RESOURCES KIND OF LEFT WITH THEM. LIKE OUR GROCERY STORES, OUR DEPARTMENT STORES, OUR CLOTHING STORES, ALL THAT JUST DISAPPEARED. >> Matthew: MOST URBAN NEIGHBORHOODS AS WELL AS LOW-INCOME AREAS. WE ALREADY LIVE IN A FOOD DESERT. >> Zakiya: WHERE I ORGANIZE IN DAYTON, THERE WAS NOT ACCESS TO AN ACTUAL GROCERY STORE, YOU KNOW, WITH FRESH FRUITS AND VEGETABLES. >> Matthew: THE PRODUCE SECTION IF YOU GO TO A BODEGA, IT’S NONEXISTENT. IT’S GONNA BE, LIKE, A BOX FULL OF ONIONS UNDERNEATH THE CHIPS. >> Zakiya: IT WAS A FOOD DESERT. >> Tasha: WE HAVE ACCESS TO FOOD. IT’S JUST NOT THE RIGHT FOOD THAT WE HAVE ACCESS TO.


YOU COULD PROBABLY COUNT OUT WITHIN A MILE RADIUS ABOUT 37 CORNER STORES. FAST FOOD RESTAURANT, FRIED CHICKEN, FRIED FISH, I MEAN, JUST OVERABUNDANCE OF THAT RIGHT HERE WITHIN A MILE RADIUS. WE DON’T LIVE IN A FOOD DESERT. IT’S MORE LIKE A FOOD SWAMP. AND I WONDER TO MYSELF, LIKE, “WHY DON’T WE DESERVE THE BEST?” I MADE IT MY MISSION THAT MY PEOPLE HAVE ACCESS TO GOOD AND HEALTHY FOOD. >> Wyatt: WHAT WAS SCHOOL LUNCH LIKE WHEN YOU WERE IN SCHOOL? >> Tasha: EVERYTHING WAS PRE-MADE OFF SITE, AND IT WAS THE SAME THING ALL THE TIME. PIZZA, THE HAMBURGER. I DON’T REMEMBER NO VEGETABLES. >> Wyatt: NO VEGETABLES? >> Tasha: I DON’T REMEMBER THEM OFFERING US NO VEGETABLES AT SCHOOL. WE MIGHT GOT SOME MASHED POTATOES AND WHATEVER THAT GRAVY. >> Wyatt: IT LOOKED LIKE HOT ICE-CREAM. >> Tasha: >> Wyatt: HOT AND SANDY. >> Tasha: BUT I ATE IT. >> Wyatt: YEAH, WITH THAT IN MIND THEN, HOW IMPORTANT IS SOMETHING LIKE SCHOOL LUNCH? >> Tasha: THAT’S VERY IMPORTANT BECAUSE SOME KIDS IN THIS NEIGHBORHOOD, THAT’S PROBABLY BE, LIKE, THE ONLY MEAL THAT THEY GETTING.


YOU KNOW WHAT I’M SAYING? IT’S THAT BREAKFAST AND THAT LUNCH. >> Paola: I WAS ONE OF THOSE KIDS THAT RELIED ON BREAKFAST AND THE LUNCH. PEOPLE CAN HEAR YOUR STOMACH GROWLING AND IT WAS VERY EMBARRASSING, OF JUST LIKE, NOT BEING ABLE TO ADMIT I DON’T GET FOOD AT HOME. SO, I HAD TO RELY ON THE SCHOOL LUNCH AND THE SCHOOL LUNCH WAS BAD TODAY, SO I COULDN’T EAT. >> Wyatt: DO YOU SEE KIDS WHO ARE COMING TO SCHOOL WITH CANDY, CHIPS, STUFF LIKE THAT? >> Kobe: OH, YEAH, ALL THE TIME. SOME KIDS, IT’S THEIR BREAKFAST. I JUST SEE IT SO OFTEN, IT’S KIND OF, LIKE, NORMAL TO ME. NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT, IT’S PRETTY INTENSE, IF THAT MIGHT BE THEIR ONLY WAY TO GET BREAKFAST. >> Wyatt: THAT’S WHAT I’M HERE TO DO, I’M HERE TO BLOW YOUR MIND.


>> Kobe: HEY, I’M WILLING. >> Wyatt: IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU THINK I’M GONNA OFFER YOU DRUGS. >> Kobe: NAH. >> Wyatt: I MEAN, I’M NOT GONNA OFFER YOU DRUGS. NOT ON CAMERA. >> Brittany: THERE ARE FAR TOO MANY CHILDREN WHO ONLY GET A MEAL AT SCHOOL FOR US TO NOT BE CONCERNED WITH FOOD JUSTICE. ♪ ♪ >> Jen: THE NATIONAL SCHOOL LUNCH PROGRAM SERVES ABOUT 30 MILLION CHILDREN, ABOUT 75% OF THOSE KIDS QUALIFY FOR FREE OR REDUCED-PRICED LUNCHES. SCHOOL LUNCH IS HUGELY IMPORTANT FOR ALL KIDS.


THESE MEALS ARE REALLY IMPACTFUL, BUT WE DON’T REALLY TREAT THEM WITH THE RESPECT THEY DESERVE. >> Wyatt: WHAT ARE THOSE MEALS? >> Jen: THERE ARE FIVE COMPONENTS FOR A SCHOOL LUNCH. SO YOU’RE ALWAYS GOING TO HAVE A BREAD AND A PROTEIN, FRUIT, VEGETABLE, AND MILK. SO YOU’LL SEE THINGS LIKE CHICKEN NUGGETS AND PIZZA A LOT, BECAUSE, GUESS WHAT? IT COMBINES A BREAD AND PROTEIN INTO ONE CONVENIENT LITTLE PACKAGE SIZE. >> Wyatt: PRE-PACKAGED TRAYS OF FOOD LIKE THIS, THAT CAN BE HEATED UP QUICKLY, MAKE IT EASIER TO SERVE HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE AT ONCE. WHETHER THAT’S IN A SCHOOL OR ON AN AIRPLANE. GUESS WHERE I GOT THIS ONE? GO ON, GUESS. IF YOU THINK THIS FOOD CAME FROM A SCHOOL, TOUCH HERE. IF YOU THINK IT’S FROM A PLANE, TOUCH HERE. YOU’RE WRONG.


IT’S FROM A PRISON. ALSO, THANKS FOR YOUR FINGERPRINTS. THESE PEEL-AND-HEAT MEALS CAN LOOK SO SIMILAR BECAUSE AIRLINE FOOD AND PRISON FOOD ARE OFTEN OUTSOURCED TO SIMILAR KINDS OF PRIVATE COMPANIES THAT PREPARE MEALS IN BULK. COMPANIES THAT, OVER THE PAST FEW DECADES, HAVE GOTTEN INVOLVED IN SCHOOL CAFETERIA PROGRAMS AS WELL. AND THAT’S BECAUSE THE NATIONAL SCHOOL LUNCH PROGRAM IS A $13.6 BILLION BUSINESS. WHICH, IF I’D KNOWN THAT WHEN I WAS IN MIDDLE SCHOOL, I WOULD HAVE TRADED MY FRUIT ROLL-UPS FOR ACTUAL CASH, BOUGHT SOME SQUARE PIZZA STOCK, AND WOUND UP THE WORLD’S MOST MALNOURISHED BILLIONAIRE.


THE PROBLEM IS THAT INSTEAD OF JUST WORRYING ABOUT PROVIDING QUALITY FOOD TO KIDS, PRIVATE COMPANIES MAY HAVE OTHER PRIORITIES. THAT COULD BE HOW NATIONAL STANDARDS LIKE “A SCHOOL MEAL MUST HAVE A BREAD AND A PROTEIN” CAN BECOME A CHICKEN NUGGET THAT IF YOU MICROWAVE IT FOR TOO LONG MIGHT BECOME A MOZZARELLA STICK. >> Jen: ONE OF THE ISSUES WITH THESE COMPANIES IS THEY’RE TRYING TO SORT OF SQUEEZE OUT PROFIT FROM WHAT IS A NOT-FOR-PROFIT PROGRAM. SO THEY HAVE TO DO THAT SOMEHOW. THEY CAN ONLY CUT COSTS SO MUCH IN TERMS OF WHAT THE FOOD LOOKS LIKE, SO THAT REALLY LEAVES LABOR. SO THE PRIVATE MANAGEMENT COMPANIES TEND TO UNDERPAY WORKERS, ALSO I WOULD SAY HAVE A MORE RAPID RATE OF TURNOVER, SO AGAIN, THIS IDEA OF CHEAPNESS. SO NOT NECESSARILY WHAT’S GOING TO BE HEALTHIEST FOR THE KIDS OR CREATE GOOD JOBS IN COMMUNITIES, BUT WHAT IS GOING TO BE CHEAPEST IN TERMS OF SATISFYING THE BARE MINIMUM. >> Wyatt: ARE THERE CITIES, DISTRICTS, THAT ARE DOING SOMETHING THAT SEEMS LIKE A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION? >> Jen: MINNEAPOLIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE EXAMPLES TO TALK ABOUT IN TERMS OF SCHOOL LUNCH REFORM BECAUSE — >> Wyatt: THEN IT’S CONVENIENT THAT WE’RE HERE.


>> Jen: YES! SIX YEARS AGO, BERTRAND WEBER CAME TO MINNEAPOLIS PUBLIC SCHOOLS, AND HE WAS REALLY RECRUITED BECAUSE HE HAD A DIFFERENT APPROACH, A DIFFERENT FOOD PHILOSOPHY, THAT WAS ROOTED IN THIS IDEA OF COOKING FROM SCRATCH AND DOING AS MUCH LOCAL SOURCING AS POSSIBLE. >> Bertrand: I WAS THE GENERAL MANAGER OF A FIVE-STAR BOUTIQUE HOTEL. BUT MY SON WAS 7 YEARS OLD AND WAS DIAGNOSED WITH TYPE 1 DIABETES. AND I BECAME THE PISSED OFF PARENT. >> Wyatt: OKAY. >> Bertrand: BECAUSE IN THE LUNCH ROOM, EVERYTHING THEY WERE SERVING HIM IS EXACTLY WHAT HE DIDN’T NEED TO HAVE. >> Wyatt: SO, YOU WERE LIKE AN ANGRY SOCCER DAD? >> Bertrand: YEP. >> Wyatt: BUT INSTEAD OF YELLING AT THE COACH, YOU WERE YELLING AT THE SCHOOL TO MAKE SURE THAT THERE WERE APPLES.


>> Bertrand: YEAH, ABSOLUTELY. WHAT I CAME INTO WAS 72 SCHOOLS THAT WERE NOT COOKING. WE WERE JUST REHEATING PREPACKAGED FOOD. >> Wyatt: HOW DID YOU CHANGE THINGS? WHAT DID CHANGE LOOK LIKE? >> Bertrand: SO, I WANTED TO REACH OUT TO THE LOCAL FOOD COMMUNITY. TO LOOK AT, “HOW CAN I WORK WITH YOU GUYS?” SO, WE HAVE A GARDEN-TO-CAFETERIA PROGRAM WHERE THE KIDS GROW THE FOOD, WE PAY THEM FOR IT AND THEN WE PUT IT ON THE SALAD BAR. OUR FARM-TO-SCHOOL PROGRAM, WE’RE CURRENTLY CONTRACTING WITH 14 FARMERS. LOCAL VEGETABLE GROWER, LOCAL TURKEY FARMER, AND SO ON AND SO FORTH. ♪ ♪ >> Rae: IT’S CLEAR WHEN YOU WORK WITH BERTRAND THAT HE SEES THE BIG PICTURE. HE’S BEEN OUT ON MY FARM SEVERAL TIMES. >> Wyatt: INVITED. HE HASN’T JUST SHOWN UP THINKING HE COULD JUST — >> Rae: NO, I HAVEN’T FOUND HIM OUT PEEKING ACROSS A BIG SQUASH PLANT AT ME… MY NAME IS RAE RUSNAK, AND I AM A FARMER/OWNER OF L AND R POULTRY AND PRODUCE. AS YOU CAN SEE RIGHT HERE, I HAVE A VERY LARGE SQUASH. AND IT WEIGHS ABOUT 17 POUNDS. A PRODUCE MANAGER TOLD ME ONCE THAT SHE THOUGHT LARGE VEGETABLES LIKE THIS WERE TOO BIG OF A COMMITMENT.


BUT IN THE SCHOOLS, WE BRING IN A SQUASH LIKE THAT AND THEY’RE VERY HAPPY BECAUSE THEY’RE GOING TO PEEL THIS THING AND THEY’RE GOING TO BE LEFT WITH A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF USABLE FLESH. IT’S GONNA GIVE THEM A LOT OF BANG FOR THEIR BUCK. >> Bertrand: THOSE KIND OF PARTNERSHIPS ARE WIN-WIN FOR EVERYBODY. >> Wyatt: THIS SOUNDS REALLY GREAT, BUT I’D IMAGINE IT’S INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE. >> Bertrand: WHOLE FOODS’ NOT AS EXPENSIVE AS PROCESSED FOOD. >> Wyatt: THEN WHY DON’T MORE SCHOOL DISTRICTS DO IT? >> Bertrand: BECAUSE, NOW YOU ALSO HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO COOK. SO NO, IT’S NOT MORE EXPENSIVE BUT IT REQUIRES A LOT MORE WORK.


>> Wyatt: WORK LIKE BUILDING A KITCHEN, SOURCING INGREDIENTS FROM LOCAL FARMS, AND CONVINCING SKEPTICAL TEENS THAT AN EGGPLANT IS AN ACTUAL FOOD AND NOT JUST AN EMOJI DICK. THAT’S OFTEN WHY A LOT OF OTHER SCHOOLS ARE RELUCTANT TO DO THIS. AND INITIALLY IT CAN BE EXPENSIVE TO EQUIP A KITCHEN, HIRE STAFF, TRAIN THEM TO COOK, AND ALSO TEACH THEM THE EGGPLANT THING. LOOK, IF THERE’S ANYTHING YOU TAKE AWAY FROM THIS SEASON, IT SHOULD BE THAT WE HAVE TO RECLAIM THE EGGPLANT AS A FOOD AND NOT A DIGITAL PENIS.


>> Eggplant: I JUST WANT TO BE INSIDE YOU. >> Wyatt: DAMNIT, EGGPLANT! YOU ARE NOT HELPING THIS! THE POINT IS, BERTRAND WAS ABLE TO USE THE MONEY HE SAVED BUYING FRESH BULK INGREDIENTS INSTEAD OF PREPARED FOOD TO HELP COVER THE EXTRA COSTS OF LABOR, SO MINNEAPOLIS PUBLIC SCHOOLS DON’T HAVE TO SPEND MORE TO PROVIDE HEALTHIER, FRESHER FOOD. HOW LONG HAVE YOU WORKED IN THE PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM? >> Yvonne: ABOUT 26-27 YEARS. LIKE, WHEN I FIRST CAME IN THE SYSTEM, IT WAS PRETTY MUCH PRE-PACK, WE WERE REALLY JUST HEATING. >> Wyatt: WHAT WAS THAT LIKE WHEN EVERYTHING CHANGED? >> Yvonne: WELL, I WAS RESISTANT TO THE CHANGE. >> Wyatt: REALLY? >> Yvonne: I WAS. >> Wyatt: WHY? >> Yvonne: I DIDN’T HAVE ANY SPECIAL TRAINING, SO I WAS KIND OF WORRIED ABOUT THAT. >> Bertrand: BRINGING THE STAFF ALONG WAS HARD. I MADE SOME MISTAKES. AND I THINK THE MAIN REASON WAS, HOW DO YOU TELL SOMEONE WHOSE BEEN DOING, IN THEIR MIND, A GREAT JOB FOR 20 YEARS, THAT WE’RE GONNA CHANGE EVERYTHING BECAUSE WHAT WE’VE BEEN DOING WAS WRONG? WE HAD TO REALLY CHANGE OUR FOCUS ON TRAINING, HOW TO READ RECIPES, HOW TO ORDER WHOLE FOODS, HOW TO COOK.


>> Yvonne: NOW WE’RE COOKING FROM SCRATCH. YOU TAKE PRIDE IN WHAT YOU PUT OUT TO THE KIDS NOW. >> Bertrand: NOT ONLY WOULD YOU SERVE BREAKFAST FREE FOR EVERYONE AND THEN WE HAVE THE LUNCH, BUT WE’RE NOW PROVIDING SUPPERS FOR A LOT OF KIDS THAT, AGAIN, OTHERWISE MIGHT JUST HAVE A BAG OF CHIPS FOR DINNER. >> Kobe: DINNER’S HELD AFTER SCHOOL AND I KNOW THAT’S SOME KIDS’ ONLY DINNER THAT THEY GET, SO IT’S VERY IMPORTANT TO THEM. >> Rae: THE URBAN AREAS DON’T HAVE THE SAME ACCESS TO THIS KIND OF FOOD, THAT IS SOMETHING THAT I REALLY ENJOY ABOUT WORKING WITH MINNEAPOLIS. KNOWING THAT MY FOOD ISN’T JUST BEING EATEN BY A WEALTHY SUBURBAN FAMILY. >> Wyatt: >> Rae: KIDS OF ALL PEOPLE SHOULD BE EATING THE BEST FOOD THAT OUR COUNTRY CAN PROVIDE.


>> Tasha: BERTRAND CAME IN AND WAS LIKE “THE FOOD NEED TO CHANGE HERE.” YOU DID GET SOME PUSHBACKS FROM THE KIDS. THEY WAS LIKE, “WE DON’T EAT SALADS!” WE DON’T EVEN KNOW WHAT THIS IS ON THIS SALAD BAR. >> Wyatt: THERE’S JUST ONE KID WHO’S JUST DRINKING BLUE CHEESE DRESSING, LIKE, “I’M FINE.” FOR SO MANY KIDS WHO MAYBE DON’T GROW UP WITH THOSE FOODS IN THEIR NEIGHBORHOOD, HOW DO YOU GET THEM TO VENTURE OUT AND TRY THESE THINGS? >> Bertrand: SO, THE BUY-IN COMES FROM HAVING FOOD THAT TASTES REALLY GOOD.


AND BALANCING IT OUT WITH THEIR ALL-TIME FAVORITE. WE STILL HAVE PIZZAS, WE STILL HAVE BURGERS, AND THEN HERE’S A ROASTED CHICKEN DRUMSTICK WITH FRESH MASHED POTATOES. IS PIZZA STILL POPULAR? STILL NUMBER ONE. BUT, A CHILD WHO DOESN’T EAT THE LUNCH IS VERY EXPENSIVE BECAUSE I DON’T GET ANY REVENUE. JUST LIKE IN A RESTAURANT. AN EMPTY SEAT IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE THING A RESTAURANT CAN HAVE. >> Wyatt: I ALWAYS THOUGHT THE MOST EXPENSIVE THING A RESTAURANT COULD HAVE WAS A BARTENDER WITH A COCAINE PROBLEM. BECAUSE THEY’RE JUST COKED OUT AND THEY’RE JUST LIKE, “YOU GET A SHOT! YOU GET A SHOT! SHOTS FOR EVERYBODY, AHHH!” >> Bertrand: WELL, THAT COULD BE TOO! >> Tasha: WHEN YOU’RE NOT USED SOMETHING, IT’S EASY TO CONVERT TO YOUR NORM. WHEN I BECAME VEGETARIAN, I WENT THROUGH A LITTLE STRUGGLE. PEOPLE STARTED TALKING ABOUT ME LIKE, “OH, BLACK PEOPLE AIN’T VEGETARIANS. YOU’RE TRYING TO BE WHITE.” >> Wyatt: SHE’S TOO GOOD FOR BACON. >> Tasha: EXACTLY. SO EVEN MY DAUGHTER, SHE WOULD COME HOME AND SHE’D BE LIKE FOOD WASN’T UP TO HER PAR BECAUSE A LOT OF, AT THAT TIME, SHE WASN’T EXPOSED TO. >> Wyatt: RIGHT. >> Tasha: LIKE, THE BEETS.


WE DIDN’T EAT BEETS AT HOME. >> Wyatt: DID YOU GROW UP EATING BEETS? >> MARCUS: NAH. I HAVEN’T EVEN LEARNED TO TELL, LIKE, WHAT A BEET WAS UNTIL LAST YEAR. >> Wyatt: REALLY? >> MARCUS: YEAH. MY FAMILY NEVER GREW UP EATING BEETS. THEY JUST GREW UP EATING WHAT THEY — WHAT, LIKE, NORMALLY EVERYBODY EATS, LIKE SPAGHETTI, TACOS, JUST ALL THAT. >> Wyatt: ARE THERE THINGS THAT WERE LIKE INTRODUCED TO YOUR DIET THAT YOU’D NEVER EATEN BEFORE? >> Kobe: ONE THING THAT THEY MADE, IT WAS LIKE A MANGO CHICKEN THING. NO ONE LIKED IT, BUT I LIKED IT. >> Wyatt: EVERYONE ELSE WAS JUST THROWING IT IN THE TRASH AND YOU WERE SITTING BY YOURSELF IN THE CAFETERIA LIKE I DON’T KNOW WHAT THEIR PROBLEM IS.


>> Kobe: EXACTLY. THIS IS GOOD. >> Bertrand: TO ME, IF I REACH ONE MORE KID TODAY THAN WE DID YESTERDAY, WE’RE GOING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. >> Wyatt: YEAH. >> Bertrand: SO, WE DO A TASTE TEST, THREE OR FOUR TIMES A YEAR AND THE PURPOSE OF THE TASTE TEST IS REALLY TO INTRODUCE KIDS TO NEW FLAVORS AND TEXTURES. IN THIS CASE, PUMPKIN HUMMUS. WE PAIRED IT WITH A WATERMELON RADISH. >> Wyatt: MMMM. HUMMUS… I’M NOT GONNA LIE TO YOU, I’M NOT A HUMMUS GUY. >> Bertrand: NOT EVERYBODY IS GOING TO LIKE EVERYTHING. BUT AT LEAST INTRODUCING THEM TO IT IS WHAT’S IMPORTANT. >> Wyatt: YEAH, TELL THAT TO MY PRODUCER WHO WAS LIKE, “NO, NO, I WANT TO SEE YOU EAT HUMMUS ON CAMERA.” SHE DIDN’T LET ME EAT FOR TWO DAYS. >> Tasha: I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO GO TO ONE OF OUR GRADE SCHOOLS TO DO A FOOD TEST AND I’M LIKE, LOOK AT THESE LITTLE OL’ BLACK KIDS EATING HARVEST HUMMUS! THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT. THAT’S MOST DEFINITELY MY MISSION, TO EXPOSE THEM TO GOOD HEALTHY FOOD. >> Rae: THERE ARE A LOT OF PARENTS WHO WILL TELL ME “I, I USED TO MAKE LUNCH FOR MY SON, OR DAUGHTER, BECAUSE I WASN’T HAPPY WITH THE SCHOOL LUNCH, BUT NOW WHAT THEY’RE GETTING AT LUNCH IS FAR BETTER THAN I WOULD MAKE.” >> Wyatt: “I CAN REALLY FUCK UP A PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY SANDWICH.


SO, THANK YOU.” >> Rae: >> Yvonne: SOMETIMES I’LL TELL THEM, YOU KNOW, YOU GOTTA TRY IT. TRY DIFFERENT THINGS TO KNOW IF YOU LIKE IT AND SO IF IT’S SOMETHING I LIKE OR A KID ASKS ME MY OPINION I WILL TELL THEM MY OPINION. >> Wyatt: RIGHT. >> Yvonne: BUT I’M LIKE, YOU TRY IT AND YOU TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK. >> Wyatt: I’M NOT A HUMMUS PERSON. >> Yvonne: I’M NOT EITHER, BUT IT WAS REALLY GOOD. THAT’S SOMETHING THAT I EAT NOW. I’LL EAT HUMMUS. >> Wyatt: REALLY? >> YVONNE: UH-HUH. BECAUSE THEY INTRODUCED IT THROUGH THE TASTE TESTS. BEFORE THEN I WASN’T EATING HUMMUS, BUT I’LL EAT IT NOW. >> Wyatt: YEAH. NO, I’M STILL NOT EATING IT. >> YVONNE: YOU GOTTA TRY IT. BE ADVENTUROUS. >> Wyatt: IS THIS WHAT YOU TELL THE KIDS? >> YVONNE: YES. >> Wyatt: DO YOU SELL ‘EM, JUST LIKE YOUR TRYING TO SELL ME? >> YVONNE: SOME OF THEM BUY IT. >> Wyatt: WHAT IS IT LIKE GOING TO A CAFETERIA WHERE THERE’S A KITCHEN AND THEY’RE MAKING FOOD? >> Kobe: IT’S HONESTLY REALLY COOL. I LIKE TO KNOW LIKE WHAT I’M EATING AND THE FACT THAT THEY KNOW WHAT I’M EATING IS COOL. THE CAFETERIA WORKERS ARE SUPER NICE.


>> Jen: A LOT OF THE CAFETERIA WORKERS, WHEN THEY LOOK OUT AT THE CAFETERIA, THEY SEE THEIR KIDS RIGHT? WHO OFTENTIMES THEY REALLY COME TO REALLY CARE ABOUT. I’VE HEARD CAFETERIA WORKERS TELL ME THEY MIGHT BE THE VERY FIRST PERSON THAT A KID TELLS THEY’RE PREGNANT, FOR INSTANCE, LIKE BEFORE THE KID EVEN TELLS THEIR PARENTS, BUT THE POINT IS THAT THEY’RE AN INITIAL ADULT THAT THE KID FEELS COMFORTABLE TALKING TO. >> Nikole: FRANKLY, THE ADULTS IN THE SCHOOL WHOM I COULD RELATE THE MOST TO, WERE THE CAFETERIA WORKERS. THERE’S, LIKE, THIS BLACK ACKNOWLEDGEMENT WHEN YOU’RE IN WHITE SPACES, SO WHEN I WOULD BE IN LINE, IT WAS THE LOOK THAT THEY WOULD GIVE ME, IT WAS HOW THEY WOULD CALL ME “SUGAR” OR “BABY.” AND THEY DIDN’T NECESSARILY TALK TO THE WHITE KIDS LIKE THAT.


IT WAS JUST AN UNDERSTANDING LIKE, I SEE YOU. >> Marcus: THERE’S ONE LADY I KINDA GOT A CONNECTION WITH. ME AND HER ARE BOTH NATIVE AND I WAS LIKE, “HEY, ARE YOU NATIVE?” AND SHE WAS LIKE, “YEAH”. I SAID, “WHAT ARE YOU, I SAID ARE YOU OJIBWE?” AND SHE SAID, “YEAH.” AND I WAS LIKE, “COOL. SAME HERE TOO.” AND SO, LIKE, EVERY DAY WHEN I’D GRAB LUNCH ON HER SIDE, I’D BE LIKE “BOOZHOO,” AND “BOOZHOO” IS LIKE “HI”. >> Kiese: MISS JOSIE WAS, WAS A WOMAN WHO COOKED IN OUR, IN OUR, IN OUR CAFETERIA. MISS JOSIE WAS AN EDUCATOR! SHE ALSO HAD THE CONVERSATIONS THAT I’M TALKING ABOUT WE WOULDN’T HAVE IN OUR CLASSROOMS . >> Wyatt: FOR MANY KIDS OF COLOR, CAFETERIA WORKERS ARE OFTEN AMONG THE FEW ADULTS AT SCHOOL THEY SEE WHO LOOK LIKE THEM. AND THE RELATIONSHIPS THAT CAFETERIA WORKERS HAVE WITH THE MILLIONS OF KIDS WHO ARE ON FREE AND REDUCED LUNCH, THOSE ARE ALSO MEANINGFUL WHEN YOU CONSIDER HOW PROVIDING QUALITY FOOD CAN BRING A DIGNITY TO MEALS THAT CAN OTHERWISE BE A SOURCE OF SELF-CONSCIOUSNESS. I’M THINKING BACK TO A FEW WEEKS AGO, IN WEST VIRGINIA I MET HILARY, AND WHILE WE WERE TALKING ABOUT TEACHERS, SHE MENTIONED THE IMPACT SCHOOL LUNCH HAD FOR HER.


>> Hillary: WHEN WE WERE YOUNG, WE WERE BOTH ON THE FREE LUNCH PROGRAM. >> Wyatt: DO YOU REMEMBER, DO YOU REMEMBER YOUR CAFETERIA WORKERS? >> Hillary: LIKE THESE OLDER WOMEN WHO JUST MADE THE BEST FOOD. IT WAS ALL MADE FROM SCRATCH WHEN I WAS IN SCHOOL. MY SIBLINGS AND I STILL TALK ABOUT IT. >> Wyatt: “REALLY?” >> Hillary: YEAH, ONE’S NAME WAS RUBY. >> Dan: MS. BEAN. >> Hillary: PEGGY, YEAH, I GUESS I DO REMEMBER! >> Brittany: WE HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY RIGHT NOW TO BE CREATIVE ABOUT HOW WE BENEFIT MULTIPLE SYSTEMS WHEN WE PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT HAPPENS IN SCHOOLS. WE CAN BE THINKING ABOUT HOW TO SUPPORT FARMERS AND LOCAL INDUSTRY. >> Kiese: WE HAVE THE FOOD, WE HAVE THE FARM. IF WE CREATED MORE WAYS TO CONNECT THE FARM TO THE KITCHEN, TO THE TABLE, TO THE STUDENT, I JUST THINK WE’RE BROADENING AGAIN, LIKE THE STUDENTS’ CONCEPTION OF WHAT IT MEANS TO PUT FOOD IN THEIR BODIES.


>> Bertrand: I THINK WE HAVE A MORAL OBLIGATION TO REINTRODUCE THEM TO WHAT FOOD REALLY IS. I MEAN, IT’S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. >> Tasha: THE WORK THAT BERTRAND’S DOING IN THE MINNEAPOLIS PUBLIC SCHOOL IS IN LINE WITH THE WORK THAT I’M DOING OUT HERE IN THE COMMUNITY. WITH APPETITE FOR CHANGE’S COMMUNITY COOKS NIGHTS, WE HAVE THOSE SIX TIMES A MONTH SO WE TRY TO DO FULL COURSE MEALS FOR THE COMMUNITY. BUT, BUT THEY COOK IT WE SET IT UP BUFFET STYLE SO THEY SIT DOWN, AND THEY TALK. SO, I WANT THEM TO UNDERSTAND THAT YOU DESERVE MORE THAN JUST, CHIPS, POPS, AND THIS, IN YOUR STORE. YOU DESERVE TO HAVE THE BEST FOOD POSSIBLE, NO MATTER WHAT COMMUNITY, NO MATTER WHAT COLOR, NO MATTER NONE OF THAT. >> Wyatt: THAT’S THE HARD WORK HERE.


IT’S GETTING EVERYONE — SCHOOLS, PARENTS, AND COMMUNITIES — TO SEE THAT THEY’RE ALL WORTHY OF HEALTHY FOOD OPTIONS. BUT MAYBE BEFORE THAT HARD WORK STARTS, YOU LET ME UNLOAD SOME OF THESE FRUIT ROLL-UPS? JUST SAYING, I’M A LITTLE OVER EXTENDED HERE. I REALLY THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE MY BITCOIN. I MEAN, THINK ABOUT IT. YOU HAVE MY BUSINESS CARD. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ >> Wyatt: MY FINGERS AREN’T STRONG ENOUGH. >> Kobe: YOU CAN DO IT! YOU’VE BEEN EATING YOUR VEGETABLES. >> Wyatt: YEAH. I COULD NEVER PALM A BASKETBALL BUT I CAN PALM A BOWL OF .

Hello all..and welcome to our video channel on jobs and careers This is Elsa from Freshersworld.com Today I am bringing you the methods in which you can apply for Union Bank of india Union bank of India is a premier bank in India which is largely focused on domestic clients. With more than 3500 branches, the Union bank of India recruitment drive is one of the largest drives in banking recruitments. When it comes to Union bank of India, the posts are not limited to PO, clerk and SO. There are many other positions starting from the administrative department to economists. Most of the Scale-1 or junior level jobs inside banking operations would be recruited through IBPS score. Those who want to be recruited in Union Bank of India as clerk, PO and SO should have a competitive IBPS score above the cut-off mentioned in the bank site. For other entry positions the candidates have to apply online through the application form present in the official site of Union Bank of India.


The Union bank of India recruitment through IBPS score also has certain education criteria. Thus, the candidates have to look for the criteria for selection that would be provided in the job advertisement. All the bank jobs would be reserved based on caste. The bank reserves the right to change the number of reserved vacancies. Having the basic criteria for selection would not make it certain for getting shortlisted. The selection would be based on the performance in the selection process. Even if a candidate has a high score in IBPS exam, if not performed well in the interview, the candidate would be rejected. Other than the union bank of Indian clerk recruitment through IBPS score and other positions through IBPS, the bank would conduct an online examination which has to be taken by the candidate for getting selected for the group discussion and personal interview round. The online examination would include 200 questions for a total of 200 marks containing sessions about reasoning, English knowledge, quantitative aptitude and professional knowledge. The professional knowledge session would differ based on the type of position the candidate is applying.


The group discussion round is for 50 marks where the candidate’s team spirit, communication skill, leadership skill, interpersonal skill and presentation skill would be tested. The minimum mark to be secured in the group discussion is 25 for general quota and 22.5 for reserved quota. The personal interview is also held for 50 marks. The candidate’s knowledge in the professional site, the clarity of thought, extra-curricular activities, behavior, attitude, communication skill, hobbies, leadership qualities and power of expression would be tested. To learn more about the Union Bank of India clerk recruitment process and other selection processes, the test patterns, examination syllabus, reference books, minimum marks in the selection process, last year papers, model papers with answers and other information, get connected to Freshersworld. This is an employment portal that provides details about all the vacancies in Union Bank of India, all over the country. Beyond the study materials and job advertisement, the site also provides details about the due dates, the time limit for online registration, methods of applying and the criteria for selection for each job. It also provides study materials for IBPS and other competitive tests and link for applying for those exams.


we will be back with more such jobs so do stay connected with us .

If they then turn around and say they want to be compensated for the loss of the long term contract I am sure that Mark will say – see you in court. That’s a long process. There’s lots of other projects coming up and we will remember your name when you put your tender in. If that’s the game you want to play. If you want to take us to court, no worries we’ll see you in court over the next four or five years and when you book your tenders in, we will look very carefully at the tenders.


.

Hi everyone, and welcome to today’s webinar. I’m Anna from the TUC and I’m really pleased today to be joined by Ivor, an experienced ULR. I’ll let him introduce himself first. Hi my name’s Ivor Riddell and I’m a lead ULR on South Eastern Railways and I work out of Gillingham guards depot, and I cover pretty much all of the southeast network. So in today’s webinar it’s going to be Ivor telling us about his experience as a ULR, and sharing some ideas and tips with us. And we’re happy to take as many questions as we can from you, so please do get involved.


You can post your questions for Ivor in the ask a question section which is below this screen and please do chat to each other in the chat panel that’s on the right hand side of the screen. We’ve also posted four or five poll questions so do take part and get involved. And if we don’t manage to get through every question today, we’re going to ask Ivor to come back and do another webinar with us, so just keep sending the questions in and we’ll see how many we get through. Okay so first question, what’s the best thing about being a ULR? Well, I think really the best thing about being a ULR really is is the difference that you can make to people’s lives.


It’s you spoke those moments when, it’s an old quote, but when you see the light of learning in somebody’s eyes and they really get it, yes that’s a wonderful moment. There are small moments but they happen quite often if you’re lucky, and they do make a real difference and they make you feel good as well. I mean perhaps an interesting anecdote for that would be many years ago we had a Learning Centre at Chatham, and there was a woman who works on the the barriers at Strood, and she was what you call a technophobe nowadays I suppose.


She just didn’t want to do IT or computers or anything she was in her early 50s, and her sister lived in Australia and so she was talking to one of the other ULRs about this and saying that she only got to speak to her every three months on the phone which cost a bit of money. And wasn’t ideal because she hadn’t seen her for over 15 years.


She really missed her so the rep said why don’t why don’t you send her emails and stuff and then communicate that way? She won’t touch IT, it’s a nightmare. So he invited her to come over to the Learning Centre just to have a look at what we do over there, and maybe set up an email address. And she came across the following week with the ULR and we sat down with a computer in front of her and we explained about how to set up an email address without going into too much detail about computers and stuff to frighten her off, and she set up an email address and she actually sent an email to her sister there and then which was quite a powerful moment for her, but after a few weeks she was coming in once a week to use a computer to to send messages to her sister.


And her sister started sending photos back. We taught her how to upload photos and they had a real dialogue going. And the ULR involved actually contacted her sister without her knowing and said would you be able to be in the room at a certain time when she comes over, because we want to try and set up the video link for her. And she agreed. So it’s about three weeks after that and this lady came in, sat down and we said that we’re gonna do MSN Messenger now so we can do a live video feed.


So I’ll show you how to do how that works. And they did about 15 minutes work, and she opened it up and there was her sister staring back at her on the screen! And she just melted into tears and it was a really really powerful moment! And after that she was down at the Learning Centre every other day basically, chatting to her sister non-stop. And then she got computer at home so she didn’t need us anymore. She moved on and in the end. Through that medium they actually arranged for her sister to come back to the UK for a couple of weeks and stay.


And it was just a real powerful moment that that made a real difference to someone’s life, and those are the small wins that you need to concentrate on as a ULR. Yeah I think that maybe that gets lost sometimes. The small wins are just as important as the big ones. absolutely and so that’s a really good example of and a learner getting involved but how do you persuade people who maybe aren’t so aren’t so keen on learning straight away either members or colleagues how do you get them inspired but as a little bit of salesmanship goes on I guess part of my job is to sell the dream of lifelong learning okay use using another analogy to to illustrate that there was again at the learning center in chat and several years ago when we were first working with southeastern on learning lifelong learning and then setting up the learning agreement the chef in charge of HR at the time is a chap called Nigel cotton it’s quite old school it was sort of early 60s pinstripes so didn’t really get all this lifelong learning and sort of personal development stuff that well and so I arranged for him to come down and meet us at the chess and learning center to chat through it and I’d shown some bits and pieces of evidence and what-have-you see if I could persuade him to get on board and support us at the same time there was a chap called Andy who was a he was a driver on the railway for many many years and he had several fatalities within a short space of time which meant he devotes some mental health issues and couldn’t continue as a driver which was very sad so he he left the job under capability then later on back ten years after this 10-15 years after this his wife Sue was actually working as a conductor at killing him and she said to me as she spoke to me in in in there in the restroom just so no AMD’s thinking about coming back as a guard but he’s not very sure how that’s going to work out he’s not done an interview for about 25 years or so so he’s really nervous and I said well bring him down to the centre and we’ll have a chat with him so he came down and we had a bit of a chat and explain what the issues were he wasn’t comfortable with these is Masson English skills and interview techniques all the all the stuff that people are normally nervous about so we contact your myself contacted HR for southeastern and asked if they can actually send some PACS that they send to new entrance in advance to prepare them for an assessment which they agreed to do they sent six different types of pack versions of the pack which came down and he came down the following week and we sat him down and we said okay his tests just take your time go through it see how you get on and it took him about just over two hours to complete didn’t do very well it was about 42 percent something around that and so it would have been a fail which he wasn’t too happy about obviously we said don’t panic that’s just the start of the system so you’ve got seven weeks until your assessment come back next week we’ll do a bit of work on your English your maths a little bit of interview skills and we work with him verb for this for five or six weeks beforehand the week before he was due to go out for his assessment we brought him in and basically put the assessment pack in front we said right this is the real thing timed assessment crack on and he did and he got 87 percent which was more than a pass but he was buoyed up filled him with confidence and he went away quite happy well the day going back to 90 patan the day Nigel cotton came down was the same day that Andy had his assessment and obviously they’re drinking a cup of tea in the office with knives at about 3 o’clock in the afternoon trying to convince him of the ways of the world and he was kind of coming across and all sudden the door just swung open and Andy was stood there anyway I just looked at Nadia when actually sore about and he got it well that’s the great story about persuading an employer and but I don’t I mean I might say it was really really helpful really powerful and have you got any other everyday sort of tips about rather than the one-off amazing incident but also that everyday kind of things yeah that’s that’s not the norm I know those are really powerful you hold on to those stories but yeah I mean there’s lots of other things you have got to be able to sell it you’ve got to be a little bit professional when you approach them make sure that you do stuff in paper and outline your case try and set up and meeting with your manager your local managers normally the one you need to sell it through first of all because you got to be going to him or her for release time and things like that so just make your case maybe do a learning needs analysis around the workplace so that you can gauge exactly what people want to learn and how they want to learn it and then go with that information go to your manager and try and convince them because a lot of managers will just look at you think you just trying to black a day off we will know what that’s like so you’ve got to try and turn that round and it’s about building relationships with your manager with your roster Clark if you’ve got one and people like that actually build new relationships so they trust you and then you can you can work from that position of trust and I can see the questions are flooding in so I’m gonna have a quick look at some of those and so we’ve had a question from Pete he says can you give some guidance about how much work time you would suggest that you will are needs to fully complete their role without causing grief in the workplace and he knows it’s a little bit how long is a piece of stream yeah but good to hear your views okay hi Pete and so yeah it is very much what your circumstances are in your workplace now if you’re if you’re quite lucky and you’ve got a learning agreement in your work place then that will actually be set out for you how much release time you’re entitled to and you kind of have to make do that the reality is most Rick’s not just learning Rick’s but other reps do a lot of stuff in their own time that’s the reality of it we all do that because we want it to work but as for requesting paid release you’re entitled to paid release for your training anyway are you entitled to reasonable release and the law for to carry out your duties as a learning rep or or any rep so it’s a bet it’s about building that relationship again with with the manager or who’s responsible for your release and then agreeing with them what is reasonable you know within my situation with southeast and we which learning agreement which stipulates we’re allowed one day a month release what’s really important actually is that we take that release because that lets a lot of the problems stem from some ul ours don’t take the release when they’re entitled to it because I think all alone asked this month haven’t really got anything on you still need to take that release because it’s really important that you keep that going because even if you stand down and you haven’t taken any release the next person who comes in starts asking for it there so we’re nobody else bothers with it why do you need it so we’ve got to be very careful that we do take that release and use it for something even if it’s just going out there talking to the members finding out what’s going on in the workplace and doing a little bit of recruiting on the side if you can because we’re all members of a trade union and we want people to join us and so this is a kind of link question about facility time and where someone’s asked and how do it how you approach it and what do you do if there’s a management conflict with this it’s maybe that relates to what you’ve just said and I’m use of this one day a month is that one day per ulr or one day that you will share or okay so within our learning agreement is one day per ulr every month I’m the lead learning rep which is a thing that sort of in other industries within a railway industry that’s common within London Transport they call it Cohen at coordinating UALR so basically we we have a group of your allows that we coordinate and support normally someone with a bit more experience and lights light so just got half yeah so so basically we’ve got that that in place the lead learning rep because they’ve got a wider wider scope of duties they get one their week which is actually quite significant investment by the company because it’s actually one fifth of my working week now I don’t always get that because the circumstances that they can’t cover the work so I would have to work through but then I’ll work with them and so will I’ll need two days off later on in the year but if the key thing is not to be frightened to ask for it if you’re buying buy right you’re entitled to it even if you haven’t got a learning agreement under law you’re still entitled to reasonable time off so you can make that argument and that’s how you go about it so you’ve ministered learning agreement how if something doesn’t have a learning agreement in place and obviously that’s the ideal how would you advise to go about moving on from there okay so go it requires a little bit of courage to speak up I mean that that’s one of the things about a rep they put their head above the parapet a little bit that that’s part of your job part of your role okay it’s about approaching people and having having the courage to just say that this is my job this is my role within the Union I’m entitled to this time off now it could be that your employer will just say no clear off or the manager will just say no clear off I’m not interested but then it becomes an industrial issue if you’re prepared to go down that road it comes an industrial issue it goes through grievance procedure you get other reps involved and things like that because you do have a statutory right under law it’s a reasonable time off the same as any other rep and another question we’ve had from a viewer and this is from Jackie and she asks and if your workplace has a Learning and Development Directorate which continually trains and develops staff how can you add value to that well okay yeah so most companies have got a Learning and Development of some kind which teaches which trains the staff to carry out their role in the workplace and that’s fine so how do we actually add value to that well we can convince them that we add value because their l call role whether the ulr is functional skills that’s why the ulr was set up in the first place to address the functional skills gap in the workplace that hasn’t gone away there are a lot of people out there who struggle with reading writing and arithmetic NIIT as well so it’s we will add value by giving people the basic skills so they can go on and do the company training that they need to in their role and that very much impacts on health and safety as well certainly within the rail industry the cleaning they tend to be low paid jobs quite often people will have learning difficulties with reading and writing and adding up not through any fault of their own it’s just the way it is but they’re dealing with very toxic materials very caustic materials very dangerous stuff and you know we really need to be able to read the labels and understand what’s on those layers so we would add value by actually making this the workplace a safer place to be and we’ve got a question from Sean Sean asks what’s the most frustrating part of being a ulr and how can you overcome it well lots of frustrations in in the ulr world what one of them is probably the biggest one I find on the on the railway is that the senior management will buy into lifelong learning all the way along and I’ll say yeah this is great we support you will agree to this for the Greeks of that occasionally you might even squeeze a bit of money out of them if you’re really lucky but then of course it comes down to the local manager and it then it affects their budget it affects their release time they’ve got the other ones that have got to release you and pay for that out of their budget so it’s how do you convince them that the top people at the top have said this has got to happen and you’ve got a deliverance that that can be really frustrating at times again it’s all about building those relationships and just working at it and making a good business case so if you ever and if you’ve got any examples of when you’ve done that have you told us earlier about Andy and cotton so any of you got any other situations where you’ve had to convince someone who’s a more junior manager mm-hm and how you managed to get over that frustration yeah interesting issue when I first started as a ulr though there was a lot of suspicion around us I was just trying to break time off and things like that and actually a friend of mine called Mike sergeant who was a development worker at the time he also works as a ulr down in a Dover Area and ok he struggled to convince local managers they were all very cynical but he actually started doing a newsletter and newsletter locally one of the things he did he actually had a manager of the Month section so any manager that was actually really supportive more helpful they got a big shout out in the newsletter saying yeah this guy is really good he’s done this and in the end he end up getting phone calls for managers saying why aren’t I in the magazine you smell pie ops you’re out doing this and then things like that so yeah there’s lots of ways of doing you just want to be clever really just got to think about things outside the box I guess yeah for sure maybe that’s something and people can try yeah have a manager with a month’s feature yeah and so we’ve had a question from Denise Denise asks what taste today’s on any campaigns have you done in your workplace which was your favorite to do and why it’s great fun we used to do the do the adult learns week which comes up every year sometimes may sometimes do nothing and but what we would do is we would set up several places around the company because we will read across a whole region so we do read arrange for ul ours to go into certain Depot’s and they would they would set up information tables they get local people to come in maybe do a bit of cooking so some some areas they’d have someone to curry some areas would do Chinese and things like but you’re always looking for a to get people in the door to talk about learning and in you know in the old days during the war we used to have a little bit of funding through in this certainly in Southeast area to buy stuff and we actually did one where we bought a turntable as a digital turntable but what we said was people can come in with their own favorite album and while we’re actually recording it digitally onto a disc for them they can actually do learning needs analysis and and do an assessment and they are and it worked really well but foods always the biggest pool and that in fact we went to one it’s Euston about three years ago and it was calm international food festival but it was it was a ul our campaign day basically and there was people from the world is very diverse people work at Euston and in the area so there was loads of different foods to taste and and all the management came down to check it out as well because I could smell the food so it was a great day did lots of different things we got a hook to pull people in without their and so that’s more about taste taste today but have you done any learning campaigns a bit more long you know longer turns in one day that I’ve worked yeah we’ve done I’m just trying to think the best so we did a we did a big push around sign language a few years ago actually because one of the things I she do British sign language because my daughter’s death and we were trying to convince the company to take this up and and actually train frontline staff in just in in basic sign language not make them experts but just to sort of so that they’ve got the confidence to talk to people use sign language is the first language and we ran this bit of a campaign we were doing lots of one day sessions everywhere but then one of the staff came to me from London breech before they redeveloped it all and she said we’d really like to do it but the manager is really on board but we can’t they won’t release people so they got doing their own time because they will live long way away from the station being central London so it was really difficult for them to sort of do this so we spoke to the manager and we said it only turns out that during the date on there’s a bit of a dead patch between the rush hours where there’s a lot of staff around doing don’t say not doing anything but doing stuff that can be done at other times so what we did we convinced them to give us a room and we do the whole day course over two days and they would release the set number of staff for three hours on each day two consecutive days in a row to do the whole course and we got through about thirty-five staff doing that and it was really empowering and they all loved it because it’s learning who doesn’t enjoy learning and did that then need onto other learning after they’ve done the sign language yes three of Matt she went under there level one on their own back and that was paid for it yeah and we’ve had another question from Jane Jane asks how do you celebrate success and really show the value of the work unions do to support learners or learning so with lots of I’m sure with all your successful stories they muster some celebrations yeah absolutely I mean there’s all sorts of ways using the media so you’ve got Facebook within southeast and we’ve got a Facebook page for red star learning which is another story V if base around red star pastors office basically so so we will put stuff up on there regularly always take photos we’ve got the cameras on their phones now it’s so easy to take a photo make sure you get that out on social media if you want to use Twitter that’s fine you have to keep updating that a bit more regularly but also using the company newsletters making sure that company are engaged with it showing that they’re supporting you you’ve got the Union net rope wrap my machine that the two you see do i’ll send stuff into that before and that’s all worked out really well they’ve come out and put stories in for us and they do an online version of that now there’s a lots of ways you can celebrate it but it is important you do celebrate it and it’s important that you record it as well so you can remember what you’ve done and actually when you look back over the year you look back and you’ve probably done a dozen different things over the year and it’s quite powerful you know you look actually I don’t feel I’ve done anything but when you look on the paperwork it’s there so we’ve had a question from Holly honey asks how do you think lifelong learning helps promote the work of the Union yeah well it’s quite an interesting question actually because the East it is important that we remember as you allows that we are part of a union you know we are trade union learning reps and it’s important that we understand that although our main focus is functional skills and lifelong learning and getting people into learning we are a member of a trade union and so therefore is our responsibility as with every other member of that trade union to encourage other people to join and to support the organization of that Union myself in the past when I first got involved by I started doing a branch newsletter because I was quite computer literate and then I had lots of other stuff that I could put in it we started in a branch newsletter which ended up supporting recruitment within the depo and we actually got other people joining the Union within the depo because there was material out there that they could read and see what was going on to the point actually now I’m not saying down to movie we’ve got a very good recruiting officer in our branch we’ve actually now got only one person in the whole depo who’s not a member of our trade union which is quite powerful and that’s all about working together it’s working with other reps support in what they do you know if if you’ve got a if your cooperative in posters and things like that if you’ve got health and safety rep who wants to run a campaign on a specific issue you can support them doing that also when you’re out and about just doing your ulr duties now yes you’re out there doing learning but there’s no harm in carrying a few leaflets with you as well a few signup forms I’m just talking to people about the Union what it does promote in credit union if you’ve got one all those sort of things it’s just opening up that conversation about the wider union and it is so powerful because when you go back to your Union and I say oh it’s just learning it’s a bit fluffy you know it doesn’t really matter you say oh hang on a minute you know we’re out there we’re recruiting we are organizing we’re encouraging Rick’s and and certainly where you’ve got reps that have got educational meets and certainly if you’ve got foreign language reps rips who don’t use English as their first language how can you actually organize them to become rich if they can’t access the education that the Union provides so the first step is often going to the Union learning rep and getting them to do a nice old course or an English course or something like that so that they can actually move on to the to the industrial training later on and become reps in the workplace so the ulr is intrinsically part of what the Union does the three tenants of any union is organize educate agitate that one in the middle educate that’s us that’s what the you alarms do so yeah potential showing a really powerful role yeah absolutely something you mentioned there is linked to another and another question we’ve heard from Maria and so Maria asks what makes people want to be euro Lars and how do you recruit so when you’re out talking to people about learning have you managed to recruit some of them to be fellow ul ours as well as actually be learners yeah you have to look out for people who are mentally unstable that’s just a joke but you know yes I got recruited loads of ul ours over the years and going to visit different branches and sometimes it’s just about telling people that we need at UALR in that area and somebody will put their hand up but it’s important also that you make sure not be the right kind of person but there’s someone who’s actually going to fit into that role so they’re they’re going to be enthusiastic they’re going to want to learn themselves because that’s the first thing you do is learn however you allow yourself I have a little bit confidence in themselves because one of the one of the key things when you come back from a ulr course or something like that is you go back into the workplace and you’re sat in a canteen or a restroom or whatever it is 50 60 people out there and they’re all talking about the football and everything else and you want to talk to them about learning how do you open that conversation up unless you’ve got the confidence to do that you end up shrinking back and actually doing nothing and that’s a big danger it’s a danger with all reps to be fair but specifically because the yule ours because part your role is actually to be out there engaging with the workforce and talking to them and getting them interested there’s a lot of reps some people say you don’t see them unless you’re in trouble which is an old adage but with the ulr you must see them because you need to be out there promoting what we’re doing and well Betsey’s asks how important is it to have a learning rep in the workplace and I guess you’re going to say extremely but imagine what it would be like if there wasn’t even our or any your own arse in your workplace but how important do you think it is maybe not in other workplaces well lose your own yeah it is it is important I wouldn’t say it’s vital because obviously what places do manage without them but you’re missing so much if we don’t have a rep in or around that workplace they don’t have to be in a specific workplace but covering that workplace and engaging with people because education and learning is all about trust if you don’t trust someone you’re not going to learn from them so it’s important that it’s somebody you work alongside somebody that you trust understands the situation you’re in because quite often people who work maybe 9:00 to 5:00 don’t really understand what you start trying to learn when you work in a variable shift pattern so on the railway train crew or platform staff could be starting at 3:40 no in one morning and then the next morning start at 5 o’clock not finishing till 4 o’clock in the afternoon is shattered the last thing you want to do is go to a learning course so you need to find ways around that to make it easier for people to access the learning so it is important that you have the you allows in the workplace who work alongside the people are doing the learning so that they can actually understand the real issues that the learners face and we’ve had a question from Peter asking how do you start to become a ulr and I imagine we might have some people watching who are reps in workplaces where there isn’t in ulr so how do they go about getting on board with learning and bringing it to their colleagues sure ok yeah I mean that it’s a very very pop because every Union does it differently first of all you have to be a member of a trade union there’s no argument that the keys in the secrets in the title but certainly within my experience on the railway they’re normally a branch appointment so you would go to your local branch secretary and say I’m interested in being a ulr are there any vacancies in the area can I put my name forward you didn’t have to be elected through the branch they would then notify the employer that you’re the new union learning rep for that area and then you would have to arrange to go on your courses and your training whether it’s online training or whether you’ve got actually got an education facility within your trade union that will provide that now that’s basically how it start it starts at the branch at the basic level but it seemed it’s important that you actually talk to somebody about what that role is what it entails before you start so you actually understand where you’re going to go with it and but then after you finish your training or you’ve need some stage 1 in your training what would you recommend is the first thing that a ulr does when they return to the workplace ok so it’s just it’s a standard thing that you kinda need to know what economists know you need to know your market ok so the first thing you the first thing you need to do is find out actually do people want learning what kind of learning they want and whether what are the barriers for them personally to actually get to that learning some people like doing online learning some people like myself prefer to sit in a room with a group of people and gossip and and do other stuff and learn through association there’s all sorts of different ways you can learn but it’s important when you go into the workplace 2:30 to do is find out what needs to be delivered or what you need to find out about and how you can deliver that to meet the needs of the people but actually that work with you well and we’ve had a question from Tracy who maybe is in this situation she said I’m just about to embark on my first education day for staff welcome I have a questionnaire that upon return they get entered into a raffle for some food and negotiated the ability for all staff to attend in work time flyers emails and Internet to publicize it is there anything else I can do to encourage people to attend well who says what you’ve pretty much got it now actually but I’ve got to say that the best sale it is word-of-mouth so it’s actually getting out there and getting people talking about it that’s the key you know you pull the posters up noticeboard you can put it out on email and they decide not to read the email the kind of the best way it’s not the only way but the best way to advertise something is to tell people get out there it’s not always easy but to get out or anything encourage people to come along and talk to them about it engaging that conversation powers of persuasion yeah absolutely very I’ll to look somebody in the eye and say no and so Wilson has asked should the new lrl will be separate from other roles such as stewards and health and safety or can it be combined yeah well you know in an ideal world you would have enough people in every branch to to do that the reality is in a lot of place in lot of workplaces is a combined role with Health and Safety or local rep or whatever it’s not perfect the upside I suppose you shouldn’t say it publicly but the upside actually is if you’re if you’re doing a local rep role and you don’t get so much release for that junyu ulr release you can actually do a little bit of that as well while you’re out there doing you learn you must go come out and do the learning role because that’s what you get released for but it doesn’t hurt to combine the two on the same day and talk to people about other issues as well you wear many hats oh yeah and we’ve had an interesting question from Christine and Christine is in the finance sector and functional skills are a minimum job requirement so I’m not sure how they could be used to engage with staff but are there refresher courses the staff could help their children or grandchildren with their homework or maybe if you’re not youth so as well as the refresher courses if you don’t use functional skills as a way to engage staff how else can you do it well it’s just so much stuff out there yeah I mean functional skills is the core of what we do that’s our driver that’s that’s where the union learning fund gets its money from which which doesn’t apply to the reps on the ground that’s about a different level but on on the grounds you need to encourage people to get get out there and do learning and whatever interests them it doesn’t matter I mean still do the quick reads other than if anyone out there has come across a quick read but they’re brilliant I actually had a guy he still works with me actually John and he curses me because he hadn’t read a book for crikey you’ve only said about 30 years he hadn’t read a book since he left school basically and he said I’ve done bother with books anymore we’ll look every to this and it was actually boy Ricky Tomlinson reading my ass look so funny a few years ago now and I said we just ever read that it’s designed to be quick and easy it’s only a thin book and he said he read it in about an hour and a half and he said he came back and he picked up an on the book and he said now he can’t stop reading he’s reading all the time again he jokingly said I curse you he said but it’s so much it’s just opened his mind up again we started thinking about things again and you know so it’s quite an important thing to do there’s lots of different stuff – you see provide loads of stuff just trying to think now so the cards we’ve got and the midlife review yeah midlife they cause a lot of fun they know they’re a great source of funds basically when you do we do it at Union learning forums where the reps get together and I sit there and do they use these cars to interview each other it’s quite hilarious but also it’s quite powerful as well but it does make people think about the skills that they’ve got they didn’t realise they’ve got you know just things that personal interaction being able to talk to someone it’s quite a powerful skill but we don’t think of it as a qualification but it is a really powerful thing so it’s lots of stuff there there’s lots of online tools one of my favorites at the moment is futurelearn you’ve come across that which is a fantastic it’s a free website which provides pre degree course training and learning which is all written by its senior educationalists and it’s all sort of credited through educational institutions such as universities and things like that so this short taster course is six eight weeks you do it all online it’s all peer review so you get to interact with other learners as well and they do courses from basic hygiene right through to I think there is one a little while ago about the history of Portus which is a sunken city on the on the edge of an coast Italy which used to supply Rome and things like that some really weird and wonderful courses out there I’ve done a couple one of them was creative writing which I really really enjoyed I love doing the peer-review between that as well because other people are putting some wonderful stuff up that I was available to read today’s loads of stuff out there and it’s really important that we use all that stuff because that’s actually what most people want to do is do learning for fun and if you identify as skills for life or functional skills issue within that you can open a conversation up and talk about that so even if they haven’t got any of those needs you still go out there and help them to learn for fun it’s great sign language digital photography all those stuffs well that sort of stuff and all the resources that I was mentioned including futurelearn our mid life skills review cards and the quick reads we’ll post links to those on the webinar recording site afterwards so don’t worry we’ll we’ll make sure you get access to those and I think we’ve just got time for a couple more questions and we’ve got it so want this from me and what would you say your your top three tips for ul ours are if you had to give three tips what would they be be confident and enjoy it and make it fun that’s the key thing is if you’re not having fun you’re not going to sell it to anybody else make sure you celebrate every success and concentrate on the little wings don’t expect to have a roomful of 35 people for every course because that’s not going to happen in reality if you if you put on a short one day course or something and you get half a dozen people that’s a really good result but make sure you record all that get some pictures and stuff like that one other thing make sure your plan fail to plan plan to fail it’s an old adage that was taught to me many years ago you’ve got up you got a plan ahead think about what you’re doing best way to get released actually if you can is to actually let the rush rush to Clark or someone know six months in advance when you want your days off because that makes a big difference it’s not easy for them not guaranteed you’ll always get them but at least if they’re in the diary early I know it’s coming up so they can lakyn plan to help you plan and some great tips there and I think we’ve answered most of the questions if we haven’t managed to get to all of them I think we will obviously get off about because this short I’m sure there were loads more stories to tell so we’ll definitely have you back for only for episode two I’m sure we all do an IVA back and it just leaves me now to thank you all for joining the webinar and to remind you to tune in for our next TCC webinar and which is about health and safety inspections it’s on October the 9th with the te C’s health and safety policy officer Hugh Robertson you can sign up on the TCC Education website and the same place where you signed up for today’s webinar and so thank you again and we’ll see you again for more stories from either

Good Friday evening it is day 21 of the partial government shutdown and today more than 800,000 government workers did not get a paycheck local labor leaders estimate there are just about 4,000 federal workers here in Pima County news for Tucson Sam sells wait’ll talked to some of them about how they’re handling this payday without pay the local labor leaders are hoping to reach out to all federal employees not just union members during this hard time I’m Vincent Miller and I work as a telephone interviewer for the US Census Bureau this room is full of federal employees who want to know what help might be available this partial government shutdown continues put the government back together to get us to work for the American people can you figure out what you want to do with this wall don’t put us in the middle of it that’s what makes me the most angry for many of them it’s not their first shutdown federal employers have have been subjected to it seems like you’re in a year out so I’ll kind of put some money away to prepare for this but who knows how long this one is going to to last on Friday Paul Stapleton Smith with the Pima Area Labor Federation helped organize this town hall for federal workers it included help from local congressional offices and even the food bank it’s the gamut it’s the spectrum it’s everything that you would need conceivably in these circumstances that we’re attempting to provide some of these employees have just been told they go back to work even though they’re not guaranteed an immediate paycheck despite his frustration Miller says he’s not considering calling in sick I would never do something like that I would never do that my job is for the American people president Trump has said he’s ready to cancel events that are weeks away if he can’t reach a deal in Midtown Sam Saul’s battle news for Tucson


THE MONTGOMERY COUNTY JOB CENTER HAS SEEN A 50 PERCENT áDECREASEá IN FOOT TRAFFIC SINCE THE STRIKE BEGAN. 2 NEWS REPORTER MAYTAL LEVI HAS MORE ON THE IMPACT IN OUR TEAM COVERAGE. TODAY I SPOKE WITH A 73 YEAR OLD JULIE ESENBERG (EISENBURG) WHO IS LOOKING FOR A JOB.I MET HER TODAY WHILE I WAS AT THE JOB CENTER AND SHE TELLS ME IT’S BEEN FRUSTRATING GETTING AROUND SINCE THE RTA UNION DRIVERS WENT ON STRIKE. ONE OF US IS GOING TO HAVE TO GIVE UP OUR JOB73-YEAR-OLD JULIE ESENBURG HAS BEEN USING HER DAUGHTER’S CAR TO GET AROUND SINCE RTA UNION WORKERS WENT ON STRIKE MONDAY.I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH LONGER WE CAN DO THIS BECAUSE ITS REALLY INTERFERRING WITH HER JOBSHE WORKS FOR GOODWILL EASTER SEALS IN DAYTON AND IS WORKING TO BETTER HER COMPUTER SKILLS AT THE MONTGOMERY COUNTY JOB CENTER.BRING MY SKILLS UP SO I CAN GET A BETTER JOB.IS THAT WHAT YOURE DOING HERE TODAY? YES.MARK ANDERSON WITH THE JOB CENTER TELLS ME OVER THE PAST THREE DAYS THEY’VE SEEN A SIGNFICANT DROP IN PEOPLE COMING IN.THE AFTERNOON IS USUALLY A BUSY TIME WITH THE JOB CENTER FILLED – TODAY THERE WERE ABOUT A DOZEN USERS.


“ABOUT 50 PERCENT DOWN FROM THIS TIME LAST WEEK. SO WE DEFINTELY FEEL THE RTA STRIKE HAS AFFECTED OUR CUSTOMERS GETTING HERE.”WHILE I WAS THERE THE HALLS WERE EMPTY BESIDES US.WE KNOW THERE’S LESS PEOPLE HERE BECAUSE TRAFFIC IS SLOWER WITHIN THE WHOLE BUILDING “I DONT WANT TO GIVE UP ON MY JOB SEARCH PROGERAM AND EASTER SEALS SO IT’S TOUGH TRYING TO GET HERE. ANDERSON HOPES EMPLOYERS IN THE COMMUNITY WILL BE UNDERSTANDING AND ALLOW EMPLOYEES TO WORK OUT TRANSPORTATION ISSUES. MAYTAL LEVI 2 NEWS WORKING FOR YOU .

Was the American Civil War fought because of slavery? More than 150 years later this remains a controversial question. Why? Because many people don’t want to believe that the citizens of the southern states were willing to fight and die to preserve a morally repugnant institution. There has to be another reason, we are told. Well, there isn’t. The evidence is clear and overwhelming. Slavery was, by a wide margin, the single most important cause of the Civil War — for both sides. Before the presidential election of 1860, a South Carolina newspaper warned that the issue before the country was, “the extinction of slavery,” and called on all who were not prepared to, “surrender the institution,” to act.


Shortly after Abraham Lincoln’s victory, they did. The secession documents of every Southern state made clear, crystal clear, that they were leaving the Union in order to protect their “peculiar institution” of slavery — a phrase that at the time meant “the thing special to them.” The vote to secede was 169 to 0 in South Carolina, 166 to 7 in Texas, 84 to 15 in Mississippi. In no Southern state was the vote close. Alexander Stephens of Georgia, the Confederacy’s Vice President clearly articulated the views of the South in March 1861. “Our new government,” he said, was founded on slavery. “Its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests upon the great truth that the Negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, submission to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition.” Yet, despite the evidence, many continue to argue that other factors superseded slavery as the cause of the Civil War.


Some argue that the South only wanted to protect states’ rights. But this raises an obvious question: the states’ rights to what? Wasn’t it to maintain and spread slavery? Moreover, states’ rights was not an exclusive Southern issue. All the states — North and South — sought to protect their rights — sometimes they petitioned the federal government, sometimes they quarreled with each other. In fact, Mississippians complained that New York had too strong a concept of states’ rights because it would not allow Delta planters to bring their slaves to Manhattan. The South was preoccupied with states’ rights because it was preoccupied first and foremost with retaining slavery. Some argue that the cause of the war was economic. The North was industrial and the South agrarian, and so, the two lived in such economically different societies that they could no longer stay together.


Not true. In the middle of the 19th century, both North and South were agrarian societies. In fact, the North produced far more food crops than did the South. But Northern farmers had to pay their farmhands who were free to come and go as they pleased, while Southern plantation owners exploited slaves over whom they had total control. And it wasn’t just plantation owners who supported slavery.


The slave society was embraced by all classes in the South. The rich had multiple motivations for wanting to maintain slavery, but so did the poor, non-slave holding whites. The “peculiar institution” ensured that they did not fall to the bottom rung of the social ladder. That’s why another argument — that the Civil War couldn’t have been about slavery because so few people owned slaves — has little merit. Finally, many have argued that President Abraham Lincoln fought the war to keep the Union together, not to end slavery. That was true at the outset of the war. But he did so with the clear knowledge that keeping the Union together meant either spreading slavery to all the states — an unacceptable solution — or vanquishing it altogether. In a famous campaign speech in 1858, Lincoln said, “A house divided against itself cannot stand.” What was it that divided the country? It was slavery, and only slavery.


He continued: “I believe this government cannot endure permanently half slave and half free… It will become all one thing, or all the other.” Lincoln’s view never changed, and as the war progressed, the moral component, ending slavery, became more and more fixed in his mind. His Emancipation Proclamation in 1863 turned that into law. Slavery is the great shame of America’s history. No one denies that. But it’s to America’s everlasting credit that it fought the most devastating war in its history in order to abolish slavery. As a soldier, I am proud that the United States Army, my army, defeated the Confederates. In its finest hour, soldiers wearing this blue uniform — almost two hundred thousand of them former slaves themselves — destroyed chattel slavery, freed 4 million men, women, and children from human bondage, and saved the United States of America. I’m Colonel Ty Seidule, Professor and Head, Department of History at the United States Military Academy, West Point for Prager University. .

It is not right to take revenge everytime… But it is also not right To forgive everytime Badal Gupta? -Who is he? -An expert at preparing witnesses. He hasn’t lost a single case in 40 years Whatever you tell me… …Will be the truth for me. I want every detail. No matter how small Or insignificant Arjun and I had been together for three months. Someone found out and started blackmailing us. Was it just an affair or were you in love with him? I only love my husband and my daughter. WHAT CAN BE PROVEN IS THE TRUTH. I have three questions for you. How did you receive that SMS on your mobile? If the blackmailer wanted money, why did he leave without it? And how did he get in and out of the room without a trace? The whole thing was planned very carefully.


-Who would want to frame you? -I don’t know. I’m the one taking the fall, While the real culprit is escaping. He is a fool who only knows the truth… but not the difference between truth and lies. Am I seeing the 6 that you showed me? Or the 9 that I should’ve seen. .

We begin at the presidential office… where President Moon Jae-in hosted his first dinner with the nation’s labor leaders on this Tuesday. The goal of the meeting was to create harmony between the government and the labor sector so that the two can work together in making labor-related policy decisions. Our chief Blue House correspondent Moon Connyoung reports. It was beer and finger food with the nation’s corporate tycoons… and it’s prestigious blooming tea and healthy cuisine for the labor leaders of this country. President Moon Jae-in hosted a Blue House dinner for officials from the nation’s various labor organizations on Tuesday… where he vowed to keep laborers in the loop when making key government policies. (Korean) “I believe the most important and urgent task at this point is to restore the relationship between the government and the labor sector as partners in state affairs. , . I believe our meeting tonight will serve as an important first step.” Pointing out that the working class have been neglected and excluded from policymaking by the government in the last decade, the liberal president who came into office on an election pledge to create a society where labor is respected…


Reaffirmed his determination that he will make good on his promise. (Korean) “But it’s not something the president or the government can do on its own. Only when the nation’s laborers are with us can we achieve that and much more.” . The meeting, the first of its kind since Mr. Moon took office in May, follows a similar gathering with South Korea’s corporate tycoons in July… after which the president said he would also meet with the labor sector to listen in on what they thought of his latest labor reform policies such as converting contract workers into full-time staff and cutting working hours.


(Korean) “In response to the president, the leader of the Federation of Korean Trade Unions said through social dialogue, he hopes the labor sector and the government can together solve not only labor-related issues but other issues as well such as housing, education and social security net.” “ • • ” . But, despite the president’s intent to spur discussions with both umbrella labor unions, industry-specific and independent labor organizations, the smaller but more progressive umbrella organization, the Korea Confederation of Trade Unions boycotted the event citing its earlier demand to include representatives from all KCTU members for the Blue House dinner.


Moon Connyoung, Arirang News. .